Summer is in full swing, the festive season is around the corner and we all just want to wind down and enjoy some time out! Obliging, Ocean Basket recently introduced a brand new summer menu of delectable prawn dishes, ideal for hot days and balmy nights.
“The prawn is now consumed throughout the world and is a true delicacy; a treat the entire family will enjoy. What’s more, prawns are a great source of high quality protein and provide some of the most important vitamins and minerals that make up a healthy diet, including zinc and selenium and magnesium and phosphorous, as well as a high dose of vitamin E and B12. They are surprisingly low in calories and are made up of extremely healthy cholesterol,” Ocean Basket’s Marilet Terblanche points out.
Ocean Basket Head of Marketing Jean Sloane and Erin van der Vyver of Bottega Family Wines enjoy Prosecco created to pair with sushi.
With four options to choose from, there is something for everyone:
- The King prawn platter offers 16 large prawns, grilled to perfection, with a choice of two sides – perfect as a sharing platter for two.
- Light, refreshing, and perfectfor any time of day, is the prawn cocktail salad with grilled prawns, lettuce, cucumber, red onions, avocado and romesco mayo.
- The Romesco prawn is a grilled option, served with a rich tomato-based romesco sauce and topped with creamy feta.
- Light, crunchy and with a small kick, the paprika panko prawns are coated in paprika dust and panko crumbs and served with a tangy romesco mayo.
The Ocean Basket training chefs who travel the globe to train new chefs.
Perfectly complementing any of the above prawn dishes, is Prosecco – an all-round pairing wine which, thanks to its versatility and balance, can be enjoyed with most foods, suggests Erin van der Vyver, representative of Bottega Family Wines (BFW) and Vinotria. BFW is the producer of Whalehaven in Hermanus and Idiom in Helderberg basin. Vinotria imports and distributes more than 250 Italian wines to South Africa from more than 45 producers.
Says Van der Vyver: “The gentle floral, fruity character of Prosecco enhances the flavours of most seafood dishes, from the lightest and most delicate such as plain shellfish or sushi, to the more aromatic, spicy seafood curries or peri-peri prawns. Prosecco’s gentle perlage and delicate acidity also makes it a fantastic palate cleanser between courses.”
She recommends any of the following four options:
- La Delizia Prosecco (Friuili) Xdry (the biggest producer of mass appeal Prosecco).
- Pasqua Romeo and Juliet Prosecco (Treviso) Brut (Brut is more dry than the Xdry).
- Bellenda San Fermo Prosecco Conegliano Valdobbiadene DOCG Brut, and
- Giusti Asolo DOCG (Brut).