Named after the old-world name for Japan, Yamato opened its doors in 1995 and is situated just off of Oxford Road in the trendy Illovo. They are an award-winning, family-run restaurant offering an authentic Japanese dining experience.
Chef Forti visited Cristina Sato at the restaurant where they prepared two truly authentic Japanese dishes.
Do try them at home.
FRESH SPRING ROLL (CRYSTAL WRAP)
Serves 6 people
- Rice paper (round shape) 12 sheets
- Lolo lettuce 12 leaves
- Avocado 1 (make 12 slices)
- Carrot 1 (cut thinly)
- English Cucumber 1 (cut thinly)
- 50 g Tahini
- 50 ml White wine vinegar
- Sugar 15 g
- Salt 5 g
(The Rice paper and Sesame paste can be bought at most Asian Supermarkets)
HOW TO PREPARE IT
- Combine dipping sauce ingredients in a big bowl and mix well.
- Prepare cold water in a large bowl and soak rice paper (1 sheet at the time) until it softens. (1 – 2 minutes)
- Place soft rice paper on the top of a clean dry cooking towel.
- On the top of the rice paper, place the lolo lettuce, cucumber, avocado and carrot on only half of the rice paper.
- Wrap it from the bottom towards the top.
- Cut this roll half or diagonally.
SHIRA AE (cooked veg marinated with tofu dressing)
Serves 2 people
- 1 block Tofu
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Miso paste
- 2 teaspoons Soya sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated white sesame seeds
- Salt pinch
Place them all together in food processor to make the tofu dressing
- 100 g Green veg
- 100 g Carrot
- 4 pcs Dried shiitake mushroom (Soak in water overnight)
- 10 g Walnut
HOW TO PREPARE IT
- Combine the Tofu, sugar, Miso paste, Soya sauce, grated white sesame seeds and salt into food processor. Mix well this tofu dressing, keep it aside.
- Cut green veg and carrot. Boil this for 2-3 minutes (keep some for your garnish)
- Cut the shiitake and break the walnut.
- Combine the Tofu dressing, veg, shiitake and sprinkle the walnut on top. Put the veg garnish on top of the dish.