Marliza visited extraordinary food personality, Francois Ferreira at his cooking school in George in Episode 12 of DEKATv.
He showed her to make this amazing Chicken Posole and baked sweet potatoes with avocado and cheese.
Try it at home. It is really easy and very delicious.
Easy Chicken Posole
- 500g skinless, chicken breast fillets
- 60 ml of vegetable oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-liter chicken stock
- 1 Litre water
- 5 ml dried oregano
- 5 ml of salt
- 15 ml chili powder, or to taste
- 10 ml smoked paprika
- 250 ml maize rice, rinsed and drained
- Heat 30 ml oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts, and cook until no longer pink and juices run clear about 20 minutes. Remove from the saucepan, drain, and cool. When completely cooled, shred chicken with a fork.
- Heat remaining 30 ml oil in the same saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic until soft and transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Return shredded chicken to the saucepan. Stir in the chicken stock, water, oregano, salt, and chili powder. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the hominy and cook until tender, about 15 minutes more. Taste to adjust seasonings, adding more salt and chili powder, if desired.
- Serve in soup bowls with Cornbread.
- Garnish as desired.
Baked sweet potatoes, avocado & cheese
- 2 sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- 250 ml guacamole
- 1 lemon
- 125 ml of pumpkin seeds
- 100g chunky cottage cheese
- 150 g Cheddar cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1.Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Drizzle the potatoes with oil, sprinkle with salt and black pepper, wrap in foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until tender.
3.When the potatoes are nearly done, de-stone and roughly chop the avocados and toss with the juice from half a lemon.
4. Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry pan for a few minutes until slightly golden.
5. Top the potatoes with the avocado, chunky cottage cheese, sprinkle over the cheddar cheese and the toasted seeds.
Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.