Gerard visited Cass Abrahams at her home. She is a legend when it comes to Cape Malay cooking.
She shared her Three Dhal Curry with roasted butternut with him.
Treat someone special, and try this recipe at home.
Three Dhal Curry with roasted butternut
125ml oil dhal
125ml moong dhal
125ml channa dhal
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 sticks cassia
2 cardamom pods
1 sprig curry leaves
2 medium tomatoes, skinned and chopped
½ teaspoon chili flakes
10ml garlic, crushed
5ml ginger, crushed
2 tsps masala
5ml ground cumin
5ml ground coriander
5ml ground turmeric
About 3 cups of water
Salt to taste
1 butternut, peeled and cubed and roasted in an oven until tender
250ml chopped coriander leaves
- Soak all the lentils in a bowl for ½ hour.
- Place onions, oil, cassia, cardamom, and curry leaves in a large saucepan and fry until onions are soft.
- Add tomatoes, chili flakes, garlic, ginger, and all the spices and stir well.
- Drain the lentils and add together with 3 cups of water. Season to taste.
- Boil until lentils are soft and mushy. Add roasted butternut cubes, heat through, sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve with rice or puri.