- 1kg amadumbe, cleaned and peeled
- 500ml coconut milk
- 300g sugar
- Boil amadumbe until thoroughly cooked (30 – 45 minutes).
- Cut into small pieces and mash as you would with potato. Add the sugar while the pieces are still warm.
- Blend in the coconut milk slowly to reach the right consistency. Amadumbe is starchy so it takes quite a lot of liquid.
- Churn the mixture in an ice-cream machine (takes about 45 minutes).
Amadumbe is light purple in colour. If it is too pale, add some beetroot juice.